Friday, July 1, 2005

the sunnyside


Weekday mornings at about 8 am on Turner Classic Movies, there's a short introduction spot that I adore. It's called the "Sunnyside of Life" and it's Edward Hopper paintings gently animated. Absolutely stunning! It is exactly what I imagine when I look at the still paintings...light moving across solitary figures, small natural movements, quiet stillness, all set to a scratchy acoustic and slow version of "Sunnyside of Life".

I wish I could show it to you but I can't find it anywhere. You'll have to just watch for it. It's a little gift to start your day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

The sunny side of life....I know exactly what you're talking about. I love TCM! It is Tivo'd often in our house...

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one out there who "loves" those animated Hopper paintings. And the song is so perfect!

Just discovered your blog and your site. Wonderful! Wonderful!

Sally

Unknown said...

Amy, I've never seen this, if it is still on, I will look for it and try to record it. Have you ever heard Sparklehorse's version of John R. Cash's Dark as a Dungeon? That's pretty fabulously scratchy.

Anonymous said...

Ok, ok...I'm probably going to the only he-man to make a comment on this, so ladies please...I...ah...um...um, well heck, I like the intro too! There I said it...

Ren ;)
NYC

PS - TCM has another one that I've been searching for...I understand that they use it for introduction of noir films. It has bits of a film by Stanley Kubrick, "Killer's Kiss" and there are other clips from some other film(s) I have not identified. (Its amazing how individuals can be moved by the same small thing...)

Anonymous said...

He-man here again...here's a link to rhapsody.com for the tune by Chet Baker...ahem...enjoy!

http://www.rhapsody.com/player?type=track&id=tra.18333592&remote=false&page=&pageregion=&guid=&from=&pcode=rn&hasrhapx=false&__pcode=

:)