Thursday, May 31, 2007

travel swap

I don't think my free people travel swap partner reads my blog (if you do Madelene, look away dearie!)






She's an artist so I thought she might appreciate a mini-suitcase of art supplies.

I covered the suitcase with an old motorist map of Florida. Lordy but did it nearly do me in the cut that thing up! I've had it for ages and adore the colors and graphics. Maybe another will find its way into my life again...and when it does, I hope that I won't take so long to actually use it. I truly believe that you have to open yourself up to the flow of good things to come into your life. If you start hoarding or feeling too afraid to actually use the good stuff, I think you interupt the flow of more good things into your life.

The second picture shows Martha's mini-travel album kit from her new line at Michael's. I swear I go to Michael's and I just stand there for hours looking at it all. And if a poor soul happens to walk by, I can't help but say outloud, in a little bit of a desperate whisper "Oh, I love this stuff!" This little album is an accordian book which has its ends secured to the box so that when you open the box, you open the album. Love that!

I bought lots of fun art supplies and did some repackaging to make them fit with the theme. My favorite thing is the watercolor paper pad. I took off the cheesy, commercial cover and carefully removed the first page of the watercolor paper from the wirebinding. I printed a world map directly on that paper. I really love how stuff looks printed on watercolor paper...try it sometime for yourself.

I removed the product labels from the ink bottles and made my own new ones, using a scan of an old label.

Here's another shot of the Martha album kit. I think it was $7...something like that.

I also sent my fairy in a jar off to my swap sister...when she gets it, I'll post pictures. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

15 comments:

Jen Kershner said...

What a lucky girl she is to receive such a thoughtful gift. I'm sure she will love it.

christine ann haynes said...

Oh I love it. The whole set is absolutely beautiful! You're such a talented girl and she is going to love it!

That Martha kit is so cute too. I am going to have to go back to Michaels and try to find it! Hugs!

Jody said...

I would have LOVED to be your swap partner! That is such a wonderful, enticing set of goodness. Thanks for sharing the pics. I must check out Martha's new line now. =) Really. Your swap partner will be very happy...if she is anything like me!

Anonymous said...

Your swap partner is so lucky, that case of goodies is awesome, packed with matching accessories! Very adorable travel album kit from Martha too.
Love your philosophy on using the good stuff, sometimes I find that difficult.

laina kay said...

Ooh... so fun! Look at that wonderful stuff! Love it! I didn't know that other people do that in the Martha aisle at Michaels, I thought it was just me!

Diane said...

Your swap partner is going to love this!! She is very lucky.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that all the Martha stuff is pretty freakin' awesome. I knew she wouldn't forget her crafty girls after the catalog went out of business. She definitely came back bigger and better!

Susan Tuttle said...

This is just the coolest!--your swap partner is one lucky gal!

I love your blog!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your blog this evening. Also to tell you Martha Stewart is having a scrapbooking contest. She announced it this morning in TV, Sould be on her web page if you are interested.
And that Paula Deene...she had fried pound cake this evening. I kid you not.
I'd love to do some swapping several places but I think it's my bad Karma, I always in the past got the worst and sent the best. Even at at Xmas party where we were suppose to spend a certain amount I got the worst thing there, a dollar ornament. Oh well.
I can't imagine how you find time to do so much, but keep up the good work.
Sincerely, Virginia Watson
watson237virg@yahoo.com

Heidi said...

Adorable! Any hints on how to cover a suitcase with paper?

eb said...

now this is really lovely - and I collect maps - mmmmmmmmmmmm

xox -eb.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me... that is seriously to die for!

Anonymous said...

I love swaps! your partner is a lucky girl. Come join the Crown & Tiara swap I'm hosting on my blog. Just post a comment if you'd like to play!
Holly

leta joy said...

Love this! So fun!

Sooz said...

I wanna be your swap partner!! so GORGEOUS!! lucky lucky girl...did she love it or what?

those labels again...LOVE that script!