Friday, June 29, 2007

*un*happy camper

Lots of people have asked me lately about camping this year. Some are eagerly awaiting updated camp pictures. Remember last year?


Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've chickened out. We're camping this year near Gettysburg, PA. In the middle of July. I'm fairly sure that the middle of July in Gettysburg is similar to the middle of July here. And that, to be specific, is H*O*T. And not in the Paris Hilton way. More in the "I can't sleep because I'm afraid I'll drown in sweat" kind of hot.

It's just not a good scene.

So, this year, we're renting an air-conditioned with its own private loo "cottage". I will take pictures, of course. Oh, and guess what! My folks are joining us. There's an extra bed in our "cottage" and, since this camping trip won't require midnight trips in the dark to a scary bathroom or sleeping on a mattress that loses all its air through the night or zipping your door closed as your only level of security, they agreed to come.

It makes me giggle to think of my mother roasting weiners over an open fire. I'm hoping too that we can get her in on a round of poker. You wouldn't believe how much fun she is to play poker with. But be careful. She'll take you for every penny you've got with a handful of nothin' at all.

19 comments:

a pink-bee said...

That sounds alot better, camping in a cottage :)

Ryan said...

This sounds like SO much fun. Please tell us more about this cottage!

Diane said...

That camp site is the fanciest camping I've ever seen! Complete with flowers and tablecloth. I'm not much of a camper, even though my family went a lot when I was growing up.

Anonymous said...

Last year's camping trip was very pretty and natural looking, but this year sounds much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Your mother should get together with my 12 year old daughter - they sound like similar type poker players. No one expects them to know what they are doing, until they realize at the very end of the game that the amateur has cleaned them out. Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Gettysburg is near me! Well, sort of- does 2 hours count as near? Love your photos, and can't wait for your future camping tails! Oh, and check this out: http://www.sundancecatalog.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10938&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1593&iSubCat=2798&iProductID=10938

It's so cute- enough to get me camping!!!

Anonymous said...

so funny you wrote about this...I've been thinking about how shockingly amazing you are when you camp! Those pix last year made my mouth drop!! My idea of camping out is waiting for the mall doors to open.
I have a Mother in Law that'll take you for all you're worth and then some in poker, too. She's ruthless I tell you.

Sarah and Jack said...

I am pretty sure that I found you when someone mentioned your camping photos. I am thinking we will try camping with Jack in the fall this year, when it isn't too darn hot.

A cottage sounds lovely too though!

Daisy said...

wonderful Amy,
Only you could make a "flowery, bowery home" from a camp site. A cottage with it's own loo does sound more civilized though.
xxxx

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ahhh, wise decision. Of course my idea of camping out and roughing it is a Motel Six.
(( ))

Anonymous said...

OMGosh do you ever know how to camp! I love camping although I'm not sure hot nights like you speak of would be my thing either. Is that a regular bed in your tent?! And that table cloth at a campsite is the bees knees. I'll have to see about taking one along for our next trip. :)

all over the map said...

I found you via Corey. I absolutely love your camping photos. Look at that campsite. I'm inspired. That's quite a set-up you have there. I'm loving the wash basin and that table with the lace is so vintage chic. I want to toast a marshmellow, roast a weiner and play a round of poker at your campsite.
Enjoy your cottage, loo and all! :)
xo

Saucy said...

I totally am in agreement with Miss Francie. Gals like us weren't cut out for "roughing it"... unless of course, like me, you think mini-size travel bottles of bubble bath and the subsequent ration is "roughing it"... but come to think of it, you've made out quite well in some hotels with limited amounts of bath bubbles, haven't you dear friend??

Annette D said...

Cabins, yeah! Tents, nay.

Delaney Gates said...

Ha! That sounds wonderful!!! I'm all about camping in a cabin! :)

a pink-bee said...

Congrats Amy, you won the vintage adoption on my blog.:) Tried to e-mail you through your contact button and it wouldn't come up. I do have the address for the CLH so if it good to send the doll to you at please let me know. Thanks :)
Crystal

Anonymous said...

Camping chic in a cabin...isn't that camping?

Anonymous said...

Either way, it sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Anonymous said...

No way! I'm less then 10 miles from Gettysburg. I don't know the campgrounds very well, but I think you've chosen the comfier of the two choices.

Unknown said...

We just got back from a camping trip. I am totally coveting that sink get-up. Where did you find it? I need one!