Monday, January 30, 2012

karate/ninja birthday!

(camera found!)

I can finally show you how much fun Alfredo's karate/ninja birthday party was.


I'm so glad a friend told me about this place for birthday parties...it was so wonderful. (Virginia Karate)

First of all, Alfredo got to keep this super cool karate suit...


Sensai was really fabulous.

We could invite lots of kids (26 little friends came to the party!)


I made headbands for all our little guests and it turned out to be a really good idea since the sensai could then call them by name!


I can't say enough about how good this guy was...he kept almost all 26 little enthralled for 90 minutes!

After learning to count to 5 in Japanese and doing some warm ups, they got ready to learn some real moves...

Rich bravely volunteered...


And just look what happened...!


Then the little guys got to try it out...


And it was so much fun...


They did some kicking too... (Here's Shelby looking a lot like Karate Kid!)

After all that fun, they worked up a real appetite.

I made each guest a little bento box...


And they got to practice with chopsticks!


Let me preface this by saying I'm not a baker...


But when I found out Alfredo would be cutting the cake with a Samurai sword (and some help! Can you believe how cool this place is for a party?!), I just knew the cake needed to be something fun. This is two bundt cakes cut in half to form the curves of the body and a rounded cake for the head. I made all the cakes from scratch and use so many strawberries you wouldn't believe it. I was so tired of looking at this thing by the time I was done!


But just look at how much fun!

Lots of great memories made that day, for sure!

(So glad I got my camera back!)

12 comments:

Danee said...

OHMYGOD you baked from scratch? Halalluha. I've been on a bake-from-scratch is better bandwagon for years. Martha Stewarts One Bowl Choclate cake is no more difficult than a box and SOOOOOOOO much better. The entire party is adorable from bento box to kicking to Ninjas. Love it all.

Anonymous said...

How fun! What a lucky little Samurai! Looks like a good time was had by all, including you! : )

Anonymous said...

I wanna take karte if they guy teaches me! Hubba

bluemuf said...

What a wonderful birthday party. I just love the whole concept and will be passing along this idea and a link to your blog post to my niece for future reference.

I do enjoy your happy blog and your amazing ideas.

Karen

Tracey Fisher said...

Amy - this is just adorable. I love the bento box - great idea - and the headbands ... brilliant!

Kai said...

Wow! I'm SO GLAD you found your camera! I was having withdrawal symptoms from your blog! LOL! What a cool bd party for your cutie-pie son! I wish my two great grandsons were here so I could do something like that for them! You are not just a mommy. You are a ROCK STAR mommy!

Shelly said...

What a cool party! My 9yr old wants a party like this! Heck, I want a party like this!

Laurie said...

That is the most awesome party I've seen in ages!! Happy birthday to your little guy!

Tina said...

What a great idea for a party, your little man is a lucky karate dude for sure!!!! Now.... did YOU get thrown to the mat too? :)

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday to your baby! I love the cake and the bento box was so clever! I'm glad you got your camera back! Have fun in L.A!

Sandy xox

Roxy said...

Too weird, I clicked "next blog" at the top of my blog, just for kicks, and look where I end up? The weird thing is that I'm planning a judo b-day party for my daughter as we speak! She's pretty excited, but I don't think the kids will be getting headbands or bento boxes, haha! Wish me luck!

Rachel and Pia's Cottage said...

Best party ever Amy! Thanks for sharing....Alfredo is so cute ! :o)